Saturday, May 9, 2009

The real question is "What would Gene Roddenberry think?"

Saw "Star Trek" last night. And I must say I was impressed.

I went in totally spoiler-free. Having only seen early teasers, one trailer and photos. Nothing was spoiled for me, and I was glad. Because I didn't know how it was going to be.

Minor spoilers ahead.. Nothing major.

I will say it was strange though. But a great reboot. And the best part is that they didn't press the reset button. You know, when a show or movie f**ks around with time travel, screws up the timeline, then decides to somehow fix everything at the end. Remember the two-part epic Voyager episode "Year Of Hell"? At the end, Janeway rams her ship into the timeship, thus reverting (somehow) the entire timeline to the point before the year started. With the crew being completely oblivious to what they had just gone through. Because the writers didn't want to have to deal with the aftermath of a partially destroyed Voyager being on life support for the next few episodes.

The new movie did not go this route. They left things how they are. Whatever happened in this timeline has become cannon for the franchise from this point on. I can't type much more without giving away a lot of the best stuff. So I recommend you spend the $10 for a ticket and see for yourself.

Totally recommended.

Star Trek has been saved!

Can't say the same about that other "Star" series. You know the one I mean. And it's not BSG.

Let the flames commense!

2 comments:

  1. The new Star Wars movies were not that bad, as a matter of fact, the last one that came out was quite good, in a Star Wars type of way. I'm going to go see Star Trek soon, although I have no prior knowledge about the series. I hear that doesn't really matter though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nemesis was horrible in comparison to the better Trek movies before it. And was created by a guy who had never even watched The Next Generation before and had no prior experience with the characters.

    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is a good Trek movie. Nemesis and Insurrection are not. First Contact and The Voyage Home are fun movies.

    The new movie is an amazing way to refresh the franchise. Which was getting stale. But not as stale as Star Wars became.

    ReplyDelete